Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Handwritten Letters


I was pleasantly surprised when I shuffled through my snail mail today and spotted a hand-written letter from a friend I met through an online lung disease support group.  It got me to reflecting on our changing world.

Our world of technology can be convenient and fast.  I can send my sister who is now in Haiti an email, and she will actually receive it today.  Amazing!  Even as writers we can now submit by email and save on a return envelope and postage.

In fact, technology is changing so quickly that I can hardly keep up with all the computer jargon.  Just when I learn how to do some project on my computer, it's outdated by some new program.  It's a life-long learning challenge.

Don't get me wrong.  I love technology, but I don't want to lose sight of that powerful "old-fashioned" way of writing a letter.  My friend reminded me today how special and personal it is to get a letter in the mail.  And even though I loved being able to send her a quick ecard thanking her for her thoughtfulness, I am inspired to dig up my stationery, shake off the dust bunnies, and send my friend a handwritten letter, too.

Have you handwritten a letter to a friend or relative recently and sent it by snail mail?  Let's keep this line of communication from joining the obsolete!

No comments:

Post a Comment