Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Stepping Stones


One of my favorite places I visited as a child was Island Park in a small town in NW Iowa.  I especially enjoyed the challenge of crossing the river on stepping stones at the bottom of a waterfall.  At that time two or three missing steps left wide gaps of uncertainty.  As I sat on a step and reached my bare toes underneath the water, I could still feel the missing step's slimy, slippery foundation.  Some days I didn't dare to proceed, depending on the rushing of the water.  Some days I braved stepping on the gaps to continue crossing with a shout of exhilaration if I reached the other side.

This morning I was comparing my life to taking small steps of faith.  It's kind of like crossing those stepping stones.  Step by step, ever filled with challenge, often fearful.  Not always knowing when I step in the gap if I will slip and slide into the rushing water, yet trusting that my Rock Christ Jesus is steady enough to get me to the next step or strong enough to lift me from the waves if I slip.

Sometimes a flood drowns out Island Park and obliterates all traces of any steps at all.  Likewise in the devastating and overwhelming times in my life, I didn't have the slightest idea where the next step was, and I was too afraid to venture forward.  But many times I had to take the risk and step out anyway, blindly hoping it was the right one.

Stepping stones of faith.  Step by step I reach my toes ahead to the next one.  Sometimes I falter, and sometimes I rejoice, but one day I will reach the other side of the river of life.  One day I will forever raise my arms in praise.  Dancing.  Singing.  Shouting "Victory in Jesus!"

Isaiah 35:3-4
Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, He will come with vengeance; with divine retribution He will come to save you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment